Friday, August 29, 2014

Summer Odds and Ends

Today is busy (and yesterday too). So I don't have time for a full post. But here are some highlights (and lowlights) of the week and some photos from throughout the summer.

1. As you know, I'm looking for a job. But things are NOT what they were like twenty-four years ago. Now everything is done on computers. So your resume and cover letter must "echo" the requirements of the job. That way the computer imp will reward your hard work and forward your resume package to a real person at human resources. One morning this week, I spent three and one half hours perfecting my resume, cover letter, and filling in all the random information this particular company wanted. Finally, after it was all done and uploaded, I noticed that I'd misspelled the company's name on my cover letter. UGH! A whole morning down the drain. (At least, I got part of a blog post out of it. :)

2. My husband's had health problems that started back in February. The doctors are monitoring a couple different organs for cancer. Today, he's going for a biopsy.

3. Three day weekends never used to mean much to me because my husband works Saturday and Sunday and Monday is his normal day off. But now three day weekends mean my kids might be coming home--and they are--we're celebrating Matthew's 18th birthday. So in between re-writing resumes and editing, I've been baking and cleaning house.

Here are some photos.

Matt graduated from high school.

Matt played Lord Berowne in Love's Labour's Lost

Thanksgiving in the summer.
 Invite friends and bake the turkey that was on sale after Christmas.

Matt's idea of fun is to jump out from behind a dark corner dressed like a ghoul and yell, "Boo!" Is it any wonder I have nightmares?

Chattanooga really is a romantic city.

4 comments:

  1. Enjoy the long weekend with the kids!

    I'm sorry the job hunt is difficult :( Went through that circle of hell last winter, and I was ready to SCREAM filling out the same information five times over for every application...information that was on the darn resume. Can't I just upload a resume? PLEASE?

    Prayers for your husband--hoping that all is well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know once you get the job, all this stress will feel worth it, but until then it's hard to stay positive. Keep at it, I get the feeling you're a woman of many talents :) Glad to see you're busy writing. Sending you good vibes for your husband.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, no. I hope the job search goes better and your husband's health improves too.

    Happy birthday to your kiddo! Hope you enjoyed the time with him.



    ReplyDelete
  4. Three and a half hours on a resume and cover letter is well worth it. That's not a minute too long.

    Some companies use computers to scan these documents before sending it on to a human, so be sure to include certain key words that will grab the computer's attention.

    ReplyDelete