Monday, February 18, 2013

Renewing My Membership in Luddites-R-Us


Do you ever just feel like you’re never going to keep up with technology? Like once you think you’ve figured something out, some techno imp/evil nerd adds some new feature(s) just to make your life miserable. There are days when I want to renew my membership in Luddites-R-Us.

This week I discovered that the important phone call I was waiting for got sent to Missed Calls because the phone was plugged in and decided not to ring. (I mean, who told it not to ring?!)

Today, a friend posted about Facebook’s Message’s “Other” file. I didn’t know that FB had an “Other” file that it could dump messages in. I spent the morning “messaging” people whose messages got stuck in the other file and saying “sorry.”

So if you’ve left me a voicemail, sent me an email, messaged me, etc., etc., and I never replied, it’s because I’m techno-incompetent. Sorry. I’m trying.

The scary thing is that I’m the go-to-tech wizard for several friends/relatives. Yeah, my kids get shivers just thinking about it.

3 comments:

  1. What's the "other" file? There's an "other" file? Don't worry, you're not alone in the luddite club. They sneak in updates every two seconds, so they can't expect us to keep up with every option. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Carolyn! I'm glad I'm not the only one who gets frustrated. Even my daughter, a techno wizard, didn't know about the "other box." But unlike mine, hers was only filled with spam.

    Re. the "other" button. When you click on the FB "messages" button, there's a bar that says "inbox" and "other." Click on "other."

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's an "other" file?!

    OMG O_O

    Yes. I am a definite closet Luddite.

    ReplyDelete