Friday, October 21, 2011

Friday Five



Top Five Ways You Know That Autumn Has Begun

1. The smell of burnt dust is in the air from all the heaters and fireplaces that have been turned on.

2. We’ve shivering and it’s only 60 degrees. (When it’s that temperature in the spring, we wear shorts.)

3. I have mountains of laundry—all the winter clothes that need to be washed and ironed before they can be worn.

4. I sweep multiple times a day. Jezebel’s winter coat is coming in so she’s shedding her summer fur.

5. You don’t need rose-colored glasses. Sunlight reflects off the fallen leaves and gives the world a pink glow.


I Love Autumn.


What about you all? How do you know it's autumn?

6 comments:

  1. That sounds lovely. I like the idea of autumn and pictures of autumn, but autumn in California is a weird thing. Leaves change color but we're either coasting at a nice 70-some degrees or getting heat spikes. I know it's autumn though because the mornings and nights have a chill to them, and the day starts a foggy gray.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know it's Autumn when your having midterms.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with Krispy...Autumn in the eastern valley of San Diego means one day it's 106° and the next day I've got my little portable heater turned on. Foggy mornings turn into the most incredibly bright blue skies, but then evening comes way too soon. I wish the sun always stayed up until 8 or 8:30~I also know it's autumn because I can't quit thinking about a big bowl of chili, with a cup of hot chocolate at bedtime.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Me too! Autumn is one of my favorite timed of the year. I love the colors, the scents, even the chill in the air!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know it's Autumn when:

    1. When all the mountains turn a glorious red, orange and yellow.
    2. When you start actually using your comforter.
    3. When mist rises off the river in the mornings
    4. When you start hunting for sweaters to wear.
    5. When you break out the hot chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I love that pink glow. Here, Spring is just starting -- and I know it because I'm getting that first hint of a warm breeze, and seeing the cherry blossoms.

    ReplyDelete