Monday, September 27, 2010

Mafia

Fall is definitely here. No, the weather’s not a lot cooler. The leaves aren’t really colored yet. And I haven’t brewed spiced cider. But it’s fall because we had college fellowship at our house last night. About a quarter of our church attendance is college students, and once a month they come to our house for food (lots of food), prayer, and murder. Prayer and murder seem antithetical, but we make it work.


We’ve played lots of games, but the favorite is always Mafia. Maybe it’s the fun of killing as a Mafioso or being killed as a citizen of Dead Town or being executed by your fellow townfolk, but mostly I think it’s the creative narration of murder. The role of the narrator is not only to run the game, but to entertain the masses. Last night we had C4-filled walls exploding with the flip of a light switch. Poisoned cafeteria food. Camera flashed to death. And speaking of cameras, John took way too many incriminating photos of the Mafioso so they strangled him with his own camera strap.

Is it any wonder I decided to write a murder mystery?

7 comments:

  1. Haha...being flashed to death with a camera...

    When we played that, Josh died from eating duct tape. He wanted something to "stick to his bones" said the coroner.
    Caleb died by falling into a vat of cockroaches...eww

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sad I wasn't there last night, especially now that I've heard all the amazing deaths! I was disappointed to be voted off with Dan and Marcy though...maybe I should have left the room to get a refill. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to write a good mystery....sometimes I'm not the best with keeping suspense though.

    I haven't ever played Mafia before...I'll have to try that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL! Food (lots), prayer and murder. Sounds like my kind of night!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Must have been a lot of fun. Still waiting to read your book.
    Odie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmmm. getting out aggression...in words. Nice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You could probably write your who mystery from your games of Mafia.

    ReplyDelete