Monday, June 14, 2010

The Weather Won

I’m not sure why people chose to live in Florida. Don’t get me wrong, I have friends and relatives that have lived or live in Florida. I just don’t get it.

Here in Tennessee we’re having late summer weather in June. (Florida’s normal weather this time of year), which means it’s like living in a pressure cooker. You walk outside and you begin to feel the fluid temperature in your body start to rise as the humidity steams you.

Of course, I could stay in my air conditioned house. (I’m trying not to think about what the electric bill will look like when the ac is running almost 24/7.) But that would be to let the weather dictate my plans.

So I got up this morning nice and early and went for a run. I ran the hills. Up and down. I put my brain in neutral—if I don’t think about the heat maybe I won’t notice it. Yeah, okay, I get a bit delusional at times.

We just finished our run, and Jezebel and I are panting. I’ve downed a massive glass of ice water, but Jez is panting too hard to drink. It’s too hot and way too humid. And in our 30+ minute run the temperature went up five degrees. Ugh. In the time it’s taken me to write this blog post it’s risen another five degrees. I think the weather’s won.

6 comments:

  1. The temperature was only 73 this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Living in Phoenix, AZ I dread August. I can deal with 110, but the second the humidity starts rising for Monsoon season, I begin to panic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The temp. here is miserable. I think I just saw a demon ride his bike across the street. Not good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't the temperature record for Chattanooga something like 102? I remember we broke it last year. Maybe we'll break it again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I sure hope not. It's HOT!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, Grace. You weren't talking about one of your brothers there by any chance, were you?

    ReplyDelete