Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Why is the Rum Gone?

For those of you who aren’t familiar with the line in the title, it’s from the Pirates of the Caribbean. The kids have some techno-funk version they’ve been playing on the computer. They also want to watch the movie again. (The first one—the second was so inane that we never watched the third.)

Why all this interest in the Caribbean? We are all going on a Caribbean cruise. A ten day cruise just before Christmas! The kids are giddy to visit the interesting places and eat gourmet food. And me? Yes, I’m excited about those things too. But as any mom could tell you, I’m longing for ten days where I don’t have to cook, do dishes, or clean up. Chefs cook, dishwashers deal with cutlery, crystal and china, and maids clean up—every time you leave the room. Yep, I could get on a cruise to nowhere. Of course, the Caribbean with sandy beaches and warm oceans is a million times better than nowhere. Sigh. It’s going to be a long 51 more days.

I’d post a Johnny Depp/Jack Sparrow picture, but the copyright laws still elude my understanding. I guess I’ll ask Ariel to explain them again.

Edited by Ariel to add:

A Picture of Jack Sparrow! (And it's legal because I'm announcing that it was created by firefleyevyx at livejournal)

Voila!

8 comments:

  1. There you are, Mom. I followed the "elusive" copyright laws and added a picture for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My brother has a rich friend who sailed the Mediteranian with his son. When they attempted to put in at a charted port, they found a burned city and three bodies hanging from three piling logs. A man with an automatic rifle and a bullhorn called to them: "Get out of here! Your'e on the set of the Pirates of the Carribean."

    ReplyDelete
  3. At least on this cruise we won't have to worry about pirates.

    ReplyDelete
  4. For Christmas itself? Gee, Jake forgot to mention that!!

    Oh, and why is the rum gone...?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Or maybe you do, Luke. Just ask Ariel about Scooby Doo and the Pirate Ghost! Captain Skunkbeard!

    Grace Duke

    ReplyDelete
  6. We won't be on the cruise DURING Christmas, just before Christmas. And the rum is gone. . . because you drank it.

    ReplyDelete