Friday, July 24, 2009

Read this Book

Run, do not walk, to the local library or bookstore and get a copy of The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. I had heard about the book, but the subject matter didn’t appeal to me so I never checked it out. Ariel did.

Then she forced the book into my hands. I said, “I don’t have time to read this right now.” Ariel’s known me for a long time so she knew what to say, “It’s a treadmill book, Mom.” This got my attention. A “treadmill book” is a book that’s so engrossing that I forget that fact that I’m exercising while I read. (Yes, you read that right. I hate exercising. I’ve been running for over twenty-five years and I still abhor it. But I like what it does—it keeps me strong, healthy, and energetic.)

I took the book from Ariel. And I began to read yesterday, while I ran the treadmill. And then, I had to read while I cooked and while I ate. In fact, I even had to run the treadmill again today so I could read, even though I’d just finished staining the deck and was covered with sticky brown goo. I ran and ran and read and read. When I finally checked the treadmill monitor I’d run a half mile more than normal. And, of course, I just had to finish the book before I showered even though I was now covered in brown goo and sweat.

Are you waiting for a summary of the story? You aren’t getting one. Don’t even read the inside front cover—it’ll spoil a couple of things. Just get the book and read it.

P.S. Day three for Luke. He's so desperate for new foods and flavors that I caught him squirting mustard on his fingers and licking it off. Later, he improved his manners slightly and was eating blue cheese salad dressing with a spoon.

6 comments:

  1. See? What'd I tell you? Treadmill book. Totally.

    Luke's craving for condiments is totally grossing me out. I'm glad I didn't see that. Of course, maybe I shouldn't be mentioning this in the comments section of a blog he reads because then he'll probably take to chasing me around with the mustard bottle, squirting streams of it down his throught. Blech.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hohum. The closest bookstore is incredibly far away... This will be a tough run...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Should I break through walls too in my attempt to get to the bookstore as quickly as possible? Because I don't think I have the energy or the ability to so do. I'll need more caffeine first.
    And seriously? Condiments? That's desperation at its finest (or worst, depending on your point of view).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, Luke's desperation for food is incredible. I never had that problem, I ate melted vanilla ice cream for a week until my mouth was solid enough to eat ramen noodles and peanut butter sandwiches. I'm an easily contented guy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll have to add that to my list. The poor librarians have to always order something whenever I come.

    Okay, luke. You cannot do that at our house! My Grandma would have a cow.:(

    But, hey, you get to eat meat with us!

    Grace duke

    ReplyDelete