Saturday, May 23, 2009

A Notch in My Lipstick Case

After Luke and Ariel’s senior recital, lest you think I’m a music snob, let me assure you I’m an equal opportunity music lover. At another recital (given by professional musicians), I fell in love with Schoenberg. If you’ve never heard of Schoenberg, let’s just say his compositions are what would happen if music married math and gave birth to chaos. Only instead of being a train wreck, it’s a cool, geometric dissonance. Really.

Of course, my kids think I have little taste in music. They point to my playlist at playlist.com (it’s free), which consists of everyone from Martha Reeves and the Vandellas to the Beach Boys to the Cars to Sting to the Cranberries. When I click on my playlist, Luke shuts his bedroom door. Ariel says, “You’re listening to that?!” Okay, but in all fairness, she likes the Cranberries too. But, it seems to me that most music has a purpose. For example, I do my sit-ups to Pat Benetar. I can “go for the burn” when she sings about “putting another notch in her lipstick case.” And even Matthew, who was walking through our bedroom the other day when it was playing said, “Hey, that’s a cool guitar riff.” Yep, I can do twenty in that riff alone.

6 comments:

  1. Oops. I must have gotten you confused with Jacob. It is a Jacob-y thing to say.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Schoenberg music is ultra-cool.

    I don't think you have little taste in music, though I'm surprised by some of the words in the songs you like. But you've already admitted that you can never understand what the singers are saying. So I guess we should cut you some slack :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with you, Mrs. K. Music is great. Any music.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're right, that is a Jacob like quote.

    I have never heard of any of those artists, except Sting and the Beach Boys, of course. I must be a music novice....


    Grace Duke

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm still not quite sure what kind of music I prefer. I dislike some songs and love others. And often the songs are both of the same genre. Hmmmm.

    ReplyDelete